CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

About Me

My photo
I am a grad student at George Mason University in VA. I am a GIS Spatial Analyst for Fairfax County Government.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Political Maps-Afgahan in Crisis


My first assignment for my Map Design class is to find a political map and display it here. The assignment was not specific in what type of map, what map elements it must include, or even who produced the map...so my mind turned to my all-time favorite mapping company, National Geographic. They not only produce high-quality aesthetically pleasing static maps but they have become very skilled at utilizing the web with interactive maps. I attached an image of the static map but click here to be directed to the interactive map.


The interactive map of Afghanitstan displays dramatic satellite imagery; locations of ethnic minorities; locations of drought, vegetation and earthquakes; and locations of refugees from war and famine. The message from this map clearly relates to its audience that Afghanistan truly is in a state of crisis.

0 comments: